These chocolate pots are a delicious, easy healthy chocolaty dessert, a perfect treat for Easter – or any other time of the year – but I topped mine after cooking with mini eggs so they feel particularly seasonal.
Originally inspired by this Healthy Living James recipe, I wanted to try and make them even more indulgent with the addition of a healthy salted caramel combined with a gooey melt-in-the-middle chocolate pot. I think the result is pretty tasty but why not give them a try for yourself.
They are easiest to make using a food processor or blender but if you don’t have one, you could skip the caramel and simply mix the chocolate pot mix by hand and cook so it’s still gooey in the middle.
Time: 20 mins | Easy | Vegan | Gluten-free
Ingredients – serves 4 (based on 125ml pot size servings)
- 4 Medjool dates soaked in boiling water
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp water used to soak dates
For chocolate pots
- 60g ground almonds (buy pre-ground or if you have a food processor you can use whole almonds)
- 60g oats or if you don’t have a food processor replace with more ground almonds
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (add more if you have a very sweet tooth)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 180ml almond milk
You will also need 4 individual ovenproof ramekins for cooking. My ramekins hold 125ml for reference and the ingredients in this recipe make 4 pots so you may find if your pots are smaller/larger you need to adjust the amount of ingredients.
Mini eggs to decorate are optional!
- Preheat oven to 200C (gas mark 6)
- If making the caramel, start by soaking the dates in boiling water for 5-mins while you prepare the other ingredients
- If using a food processor/blender, add your oats and almonds and grind into a fine flour (if not using a food processor skip steps 3 to 5)
- Remove the oats and almonds and place into a bowl for later, add the dates, peanut butter, 1 tbsp milk and 2 tbsp maple syrup for the caramel to the food processor or blender and mix, add 2-3 tbsp of water as blending until caramel is smooth
- Place 1-1.5 tsp of caramel into the bottom of each ramekin
- In a bowl (or in the food processor/blender – no need to wash after making the caramel) combine the ground almonds/oats, cacao powder, baking powder, maple syrup, and milk, mix until smooth
- Spoon the chocolate mixture over the salted caramel to fill the ramekin 90% of the way – you need to leave some space at the top as they will rise slightly
- Place in the preheated oven for 10-12 mins so a crispy layer has formed on the top but the pot is still melty in the middle
- Serve immediately (decorative mini eggs are optional!)