One of the first things I do in the morning is drink a mug of hot water with lemon. I usually squeeze a quarter of lemon into a mug, throw in the lemon quarter itself and then add hot – not quite boiling water. Adding the lemon with peel into your drink is helpful because the peel contains Limonene and essential oils which are offer as much benefit as the juice, just make sure you choose unwaxed organic lemons if possible to minimise exposure to toxins.
I normally prepare my lemon water and then let it steep so the oils from the skin mix with the water and the water, while I meditate or prepare breakfast. This means that the first thing I put into my body is something nourishing and soothing and sets me up for the day in a positive way. It’s not a stimulant like coffee or a sugary breakfast cereal which will just send me on a hormone rollercoaster for the rest of the day. Read more about why, if you should avoid sugar and caffeine in this blog.
Here are the five reasons I love starting my day with hot water and lemon:
- It’s hydrating – plain and simple – drinking a glass of water will hydrate your body and support healthy bowel/kidney function and elimination of toxins!
- The acidic lemon is actually alkalising on your body helping to rebalance your body’s natural PH – an essential for keeping your body in balance.
- The bitter lemon helps stimulate the digestive juices which will help your gut function for the rest of the day. I found this particularly helpful when I was ill as I never had an appetite in the morning but drinking hot water and lemon would either stimulate my hunger or at least help me feel nourished before leaving the house for work.
- Lemon, in particular the limonene in the peel, helps support liver function and aids detoxification in your body.
- Lemons are naturally high in Vitamin C which is great for supporting healthy immune function, can help lower blood cholesterol levels and support adrenal function – great is you wake up feeling tired and sluggish in the morning – as I used to!
People often worry about the impact of all that acid on their teeth. Here is a simple way to avoid damaging the enamel on your teeth – drink your lemon water using a glass straw! Glass is preferable to plastic because, heating plastic – even just by drinking a hot liquid through it – can cause chemicals linked to hormone dysregulation to be transferred into your food/drink.
So set your alarm 5-minutes early tomorrow and start your day with a nourishing hot water and lemon. You can still have your coffee after if that’s your thing – just try to avoid it being the first thing you put into your system. Try it for a week and see how much better you feel!
TOP TIP: if you’re feeling a little you’re coming down with a cold add ginger to your hot water and lemon. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and antiviral plus it taste’s delicious!